Saturday, March 3, 2012

My Garden!!!

There are two things I regret most about the time I spent taking care of my mother, one of course is not having the pluck to ask her some questions about tough stuff ... And the other is that I killed almost all her plants... My mother loved her plants and I feel absolutely horrible I couldn't keep them all alive, she started giving them away to friends who'd come visit in hopes they'd be able to give them the attention they needed and deserved... I'm not a plant killer and I have a pretty green thumb, but between taking care of a 1 year, being pregnant, and taking care of my Mom and the house, I tried but I failed miserably with the plants... And while I know my mother was immensely proud and grateful and understood I just had too much on my plate, I still feel horrible about making her give away all her plants and/or killing them...

So this year I decided that I'd grow a garden in my mother's honor... One day I'll plant Lincoln Roses for her, I won't be able to do that until we get a house but its the plan anyways... In doing my research and planning for the garden it also brought back some memories from my Mom's gardens... It made me realize that my desire to garden wasn't something original but something that had been planted in me... My mother never had lush bountiful veggie gardens, least not while I was around but I know now, that it had to have been a passion of hers if she'd try to plant one every year knowing how much harder it was to maintain one while being a full time working Mom with 3 kids... My grandma Ann, my Dad's mother, was also a gardener. I remember her huge tomato plants and rhubarb, I hope to learn more about my grandma Ann's gardens this summer at a family reunion maybe grow something she always did next year... But this year this one is for you Mom...


I started Hot Peppers, Roma tomatoes, broccoli. The blue container is Moonflowers for my hubby. The yellow set is my indoor herb garden - sage, basil, oregano


Broccoli was the first to sprout!

Moonflowers!

Herbs!

I have sprouts!

1 comment: