Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Guiness Pot Roast

In case you live under a rock or are perhaps a hermit crab, Saturday was St. Patrick's Day. I was so sick of being bombarded with Corned Beef Recipes... They were everywhere, my cooking/recipes emails, my parenting emails, pinterest, facebook... EVERYWHERE...

You know how certain songs or smells become so intertwined into a memory that it can become tainted by the memory? For example the Anberlin song "Inevitable" is an amazing song and the sentiment expressed describes my realtionship with my hubby and I'd love to share it with him, but I tainted the song by using it as the First Dance song with my ex husband and so that song while amazing and perfect it is tainted, luckily Plain White T's feels that void perfectly with "Write you a Song"... =)

Anyways, Corned Beef is kinda sorta like that for my hubby. He grew up in a Polish household and his "Baci" (polish for Grandmother) used to make it frequently and it just wasn't something he stomached very well as a kid and therefore has some very bad memories attached to it. He's tried it as an adult and while he doesn't hate it is just tainted and never something that will eaten in our home, and I can completely understand... So needless to say St Patty's Day needed a spruce up! I tried a spin on Pot Roast with Guinness... (Insert witty comment about Guinness, meat and potatoes, and the Irish)The only comment my hubby had was it needed more salt (maybe even some celery salt) but it was perfect and a perfect new Patty's Day tradition... Although I did see a Guinness Pie recipe floating around that is screaming me to research... =)

Guinness Pot Roast (Crock Pot)
Guinness Pot Roast
- Roast
- Can of Guinness
- Beefy Onion Soup Mix
- 1/4 c. minced garlic
- Soy Sauce - (I used a splash, maybe 2T)
- Worcestershire Sauce - Again a splash, about 2T again but it seemed like less because because it was thick..
-Water - Enough to fill crock pot about 1/2 full
- Veggies - Potatoes and Carrots with an hr to cook...



1. Season roast with salt and pepper and brown on all sides in a little olive oil.

2. All the other stuff gets added to the crock pot and whisked. Add the water last and make sure there is enough to barely come below the meat... Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.

3. About an hr before you're ready to eat eat potatoes and carrots and switch to High... Yummy!!!

The start to a great dinner!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment