Thursday, March 22, 2012

DIY Soaps

Lately I've been all about figuring out what works for us... Whether its been routines, cleaning schedules, what keeps me motivated to get everything done, or better habits for all of us, I feel like I am starting from scratch and having to figure what is going to work for us now that we're in our own place and everything is up to us. The year and half we spent living with my parents while I was taking care of Mom, everything was already in place, their routines, cleaning (Dad has a maid service), etc. So I feel like I've spent the last 6 months figuring out everything all over again and I'm finally getting there... Which means I have more thought and time and resources to go into some other projects... Yay!!!

Which brings me to the new projects I've been working on. So I've seen on pinterest the DIY cleaners and soaps and I decided to jump on the band wagon and figure out if that's what is going to work for us. I really liked the idea of keeping things simple, using less chemicals and all that... So I went to the hubby and talked to him about it and he liked the idea but didn't want to make large amounts of anything until we know how we like it, so I said I can make that work... I didn't plan it out this way but it worked out to where I've made the soaps in the amounts that I'd usually buy so we'll really be able to see the difference in actual usage. The DIY soaps are suppose to last longer so we'll see. I marked my canisters that I'm storing the soap in with the start date and so I'll know for sure how long it lasted... All my practical calculations were based on volumes on packages and the idea of using 2 Tablespoons a load/run. I will recalculate everything again once I know what the actual usage is...

I brought from Wal Mart; a box of Borax, Washing Soda (who knew such a thing existed?) Lemi Shine, Oxi Clean, regular old salt, canisters to keep the soaps in, and Bar Detergent Soap. You also need baking soda which I had on hand. I use it a cup at a time in the boys bath when they have diaper rash, it feels like one of them always has it, so we buy it in bulk from Costco. I made Dishwasher Soap and Wash Soap (laundry soap) that should last me about 3 months. Guess we'll see...

DIY Dishwasher Soap

The How To

I found the pin and decided to not mess with it any. It calls for 3 cups of Borax and 3 cups of Washing Soda. 1.5 cups of salt and the whole container of Lemi Shine. I mixed it up in the container by closing it up and shaking it well. It smells lemony so that's a good thing...

The Practical Stuff - Using volume for the calculations and given that I'm going to use 2T a load.  This mix will roughly make 72 runs of the dishwasher. All the stuff in the mix cost me $7.52 and makes it works out to roughly $0.10 a load. Compare that to powdered detergent and its roughly $0.09 a load. So maybe its not technically cost effective. But that's the math, we'll see how long it lasts.

How Does it Work?
I've washed my dishwasher using it, which was advice I had gotten awhile go that you should clean your dishwasher by running it empty every once and awhile and I figured I'd better start off fresh. I guess will see how it works and whether I notice a difference... =) 
*** Updated: 3/26/12 OMG I love this soap! I can see the difference in my silverware! My dishwasher is brighter and cleaner and so it seems are my dishes. I played around with some plates and left gunk on to see how well it works, for this dishwasher I still to scrap and clean off in the sink what I would have with the other stuff. Like I said a second ago, I can see a difference in my silverware. I have a stainless steel set that was pretty decent before but this soap doesn't leave any residue and barely any water spots, I think if I add some more rinse aid to my dishwasher, those would be gone. Amazing difference and totally worth the penny difference per load. I even have started using a little less because its SO clean, I don't think I need that much soap...
 

DIY Wash or Laundry Soap

The How To
I did things a little differently than the woman I linked you back to, since I compromised with the hubby about making smaller amounts I tweaked hers a bit. The only tricky bit is grating up the bar soap. I actually cut myself on the grater, oops... Since I used 3 cups out of the Borax and washing soda I decided to use the rest of it for the Wash Soap ( I call the laundry the "wash" so it's playing out in my head as Wash Soap). I dumped the Borax into the container, measured out what was left of the washing soda so I could use the same amount of baking soda which was 3 cups, added the whole container of Oxi Clean  since I have some messy boys in my house and then I grated up the bar soap and added it. Then I closed up the container to shake it all up. The Oxi Clean came with a pretty decent scooper so I think I'm just going to use it.

The Practical Stuff
The math works out to 96 loads with our average of a load a day it should be roughly 3 months worth of soap... With a cost of $10.65 it comes out to $0.11 a load. Compared to $0.18 a load for Gain powder which is what I normally use. It already comes out cost effective.

How Does It Work?
Well I've done a load of wash and it smells clean and seems brighter. But to be honest it could be one of those mind over matter things. So stayed tuned and I'll let you know how it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment