Friday, April 13, 2012

Guinness Meatpie

Guinness Meatpie was born out of a search for a way off the corned beef bandwagon at St. Patty Day. I wanted to do something other than corned beef and ended up coming up with my quite tasty Guinness Pot Roast. I got to thinking about what else I could do and came up with a Guinness Meat Pie... A savory pie using cubed steak and Guinness, sounds quite tasty and it's on my list only we haven't gone to Costco to do a meat run yet... Well I'm impatient and I wanted to make something special for my hubby, who has recently given me permission to be a tad more experimental in the kitchen... By accusing of me be unimaginative in the kitchen, I might add... I'd tailored my cooking to my hubby since he's such a picky eater, seriously there are maybe a handful of toddlers more picky than my husband... So I took it as an insult and have been trying to adapt new and old recipes around my hubby's shrinking pickiness... He is getting less picky I must confess... He's more willingly to eat something I make, so we've compromised... I asked him to have a little faith in his wife, we have been married for 3 years and I know better than to serve him anything with onions in it... So I've been given permission to try some new recipes... =)

Back to the story now, I'm impatient and wanted to make something with Guinness in it, and the only thing I had left in the freezer was hamburger meat and a pot roast. Didn't have time to defrost the roast in time for dinner, (the pot roast is currently in my crock pot so I foresee a Costco trip is in my near future) so I came up with the idea to make a meatloaf... I had come across this recipe for a meatloaf cooked in a pie plate rather than a loaf pan when I was researching savory meat pies, and decided I'd make my own Guinness Meatpie... =) I adapted this meatloaf recipe and gave it a whirl...

Literally a pie of meat!!!

Guiness Meatpie
- 3 T of butter
- 2 T of minced garlic
- 1 celery stalk - chopped into small pieces
- 1 carrot - chopped into small pieces
- 1 c of Guinness
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 t of pepper
- 1/3 c of A1 or favorite steak sauce
- 1/3 c of ketchup
- 1 egg
- 2 T of brown sugar
- 1 1/2 of breadcrumbs
- shredded Cheddar Cheese

1. Melt butter in a pan, add garlic and saute a minute, then add the celery and carrot and saute a little longer until tender. Add Guinness, beef cubes, pepper, A1 and ketchup and heat until it boils, lower heat and simmer for a few minutes.

2. In a big bowl mix meat, brown sugar, egg, and breadcrumbs. Add about a cup of the Guinness broth trying to get as many of the veggies as possible. I added too much broth so I added breadcrumbs. I played it with until I got a consistency I was happy with.

3. Press meat mix into a pie plate. Strain some of the leftover Guinness broth and add some more ketchup to thicken it up a bit and spread like a glaze over the top of the pie.

4. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven. I started checking the meatpie after 30 minutes using a meat thermometer to get to 160. I drained off the grease every time I checked the temperature and once I reached 160 I drained again and topped the meat pie with a handful of shredded cheese and a little more Guinness Broth/glaze... All told I think it was in the oven maybe 45 minutes or so... 

The hubby's final take: get rid of the chopped veggies and he doesn't particularly like "glazes" on a meatloaf  but I think that this glaze and the cheese was a perfect final touch...

My final take: I want to add more breadcrumbs,  and some onion powder and figure out how to turn the leftover Guinness "broth" into a better glaze... Maybe try adding the brown sugar to the Guinness broth... Or leaving it out all together

No comments:

Post a Comment